The power of music is one that we have not yet fully understood.
Have you ever been in a car,or passed next to a shop or restaurant, and then…that song comes on. Suddenly, you are walking down memory lane…to a special time in your life. Or, your mood changes?
That song holds so much meaning and emotion, a little bit of your past, some hope for the future. Then, there is that one song, that brightens up your day, makes you feel like you can take on the world and anything that life decides to throw at you. And yet another, makes you feel like the clouds are closing in.
The song that comes on the radio, and, your eyes shut…you drift away. Off you go, carried by the melodies, to that evening when that special someone introduced you to a song that they love, and now, each note makes you ache with longing or instead,causes a deep loathing. What about that other song, the one that makes you remember childhood days, sitting at home with your family, rocking to a song that your parent or sibling loved. Or, the song that played when you were on a road-trip with a bunch of friends, singing away. And, lastly, that song that always makes you cry…and you do not know why.
Music…such a powerful thing. It moves, it touches, it pains, it heals.
A song for every occasion; a song for every beautiful memory, a song for every painful memory, a song for every friend, a song for every lover, a song for a stage in life, a song for every emotion, a song for every dream…
That one song.
As a bonus, here is a list of songs that made me write this article. Each with it’s own special effect.
- For motivation- Strong Woman- Beyonce Knowles
- For my girls- Formation- Beyonce Knowles
- For a reminder- Gratitude- Jah 9
- For…I have not yet known how to explain- I feel it coming- The Weekend ft Daft Punk
- For a past love- Affairs of the Heart- Damian Marley
- For drives with my mother- All night long-Lionel Richie
- For more drives with my mother- Nikubambe- Brenda Fassie
- For my first concert with my best friend-Mandela- San Fan Thomas
- For motivation- Kama Kawaida- Kagwe Mugai x Mayonde x Fena Gitu x Muthoni the Drummer Queen
- For a bump on the road of life- Rockabye- Clean Bandit ft Sean Paul and Ann Marie
And to many more songs…
1:15 pm, 30-6-2017,
Song I’m listening to: Redbone by Childish Gambino